V.I. Control Forum is a virtual-instruments-applications-oriented-community that has some of the most highly experienced post contributors in real time. Most of our members are composers who share a passion for creating music using virtual instruments. VI Control Forum has become an important resource for thousands of musicians and composers all over the world. Many of these contributors are experts in their field.
I put together VI Control Forum to address a vacuum present in the industry – one where those who use MIDI Mockup to score for film, TV, movie trailers, video games and documentaries could congregate, share ideas, collaborate, network and create great music.
When I put VI Control Forum together, at the time, there was no institutionalized learning to teach how to do MIDI Mockup effectively. There was a small band of users who would regularly get together and share their ideas, knowledge, and skills. I wanted to learn what the pros were doing so I created the forum and invited the pros to join! I began to learn that way – many did. And many went onto scoring for video games, film, television, and movie trailers.
Historically, VI has been a composer-based community. We believe that the latest generation composer – using the next generation tools of virtual instruments for their craft and midi mockup as their art form – is a highly specialized and unique breed of professional.
Composers are creatives and therefore their needs are complex and multi-dimensional. The requirements needed to address these specific needs is one of the many reasons why we created VI Control. Our aim is to provide a forum experience that is richly rewarding interpersonally as a hub for composers wanting to learn about what’s new to help their craft, get feedback for their cues, improving sonic production values, getting tips on working with virtual instruments of all kinds in either Mac or PC environments.
V.I. Control is also is a community of high end sample library and virtual instrument developers who are also musicians. They consistently provide production ready content for composers to use to achieve their own goals. V.I. Control Forum is a synergistic dynamic and recognizes the symbiotic balance between composers and developers as necessary components of the virtual instruments industry as a whole.
V.I. Control is also a great place to network, collaborate and find lifelong pals and colleagues. V.I. Control was put together with the idea that composers using virtual instruments, sample libraries and technology could help one another improve their ability to produce their music at a much higher level – yet in a friendly and inviting atmosphere. V.I. Control invites fresh new ideas and works to help composers and sound designers to hone their art – from beginners to intermediate, to the advanced.
V.I. Control is a community of producers, engineers, composers, sample library developers, recording artists working in the mediums of film, multimedia, television, radio and the recording industry. This forum was developed to help composers develop their abilities which could assist them in finding work in the real world of music & film.
At V.I. Control, it’s really about musicians helping musicians.
Enjoy the forum!
Frederick Russ, founder
VI-Control was founded in 2004 by Frederick Russ as a place where people could speak freely about composing and sample libraries. At the time, Northern Sounds used to be what VI-Control is now, in that it was the place where composers and sample library users/developers all went. It was a great forum.
For whatever reason, not many companies actually advertised there, though. Probably because the rates were insanely high. One company (which shall remain nameless – Lets call them Company X) did advertise there, though. They also had their own sub-forum, which I’m guessing they paid extra for.
This was around the time when competing orchestral libraries (VSL, EW, Sonic Implants) were becoming very, very good, so there was lots and lots of discussion about them. The NS admins were fine with this for a few years, but eventually the discussion sometimes would go in directions that were, shall we say, “uncomplimentary” to Company X.
Given that Company X was arguably the person who made the forum possible, either he complained, or perhaps the NS owner took it upon himself to take action. It started with the deleting of negative posts about Company X. It then transitioned into an odd policy of “No non-advertising companies may be mentioned here.”
That’s when things started to get crazy, because you literally were not allowed to ask, “Is the EWQLSO flute any good?” People started getting banned if they broke those rules. Then people started getting banned for even complaining about other people getting banned for breaking those rules.
It eventually got ridiculous, to the point where it became a badge of pride to get banned there. (Got my badge right here!) Being clever people that we were, people just created new profiles. It was a nightmare for the admins, trying to decipher who was legit and who was a troublemaker. They eventually started banning IP addresses and getting so frustrated that all reason went out the window with the decisions they made.
Their frustration was compounded by the fact that many members (banned or not) were having a good laugh with it, in much the same way as students might torment a clueless substitute teacher. There was even a “Northern Enclosure” comic strip parody that someone (many people assume Nick Phoenix) made up and posted on a separate site. (Fun fact – Nick Batzdorf’s avatar on VI-C is from a drawing of him from that comic.)
VI-Control was not the only forum to come out of all this. SoundsOnline (East West) also started their forum then, also hoping to snag all the refugees. I, for instance, joined there before I joined VI-C. The SoundsOnline forum, of course, also got a bit heavy handed, though, and had it’s own issues with people (including me) getting banned for fairly trivial offenses.
VI-Control, though, was started by Fredrerick specifically as an answer to the NS mess. This is why the moderation here is ultra-light. With a few exceptions, you can say just about anything about any company. You can even mention other forums. Frederick never considered that “competition.” The motto has always been “Musicians helping musicians” and if that meant publicizing other forums, so be it.
Frederick’s wife, Cindy, had a huge hand in running the forum. Everybody loved Cindy. Sadly, she passed away in 2012. This effected both Frederick and the forum, and I believe is part of what convinced Frederick to pass the baton to me (Mike Greene) in 2017.
This is a great forum. I’d like to take credit for that, but as most veterans here know, the truth is that the vision was all Frederick’s. My role is to carry on that tradition. (And to keep raising those ad rates! 😉 )
So to Frederick, thank you!
What is MIDI MOCKUP?
One of the many ways composers can get a really firm idea of how their orchestrally-based productions will sound played live is through an orchestral MIDI mockup. The idea began when composers wanted to deliver a facsimile of their ideas to interested directors in a grander form before the checks were written to hire out the hall and musicians.
Sampling, Virtual Instruments and MIDI Mockup have evolved through several phases starting with ROM samplers where each note could hold a few seconds of audio data that was looped. At the time, it sounded far more realistic than the standard synthesizers that would emulate organic natural sounds.
Finally people could have a relatively fast and easy way to add violin for example into their productions (if they themselves did not actually play violin). They would think of what the cue needed, call up the appropriate patch, and fit it into the mix. EMU, Roland, and others were at the forefront of this new technology.
The ROM sampled violin – although it “kind of” sounded like a violin, got old fast in its sound because the looping used to extend the sound from a few seconds to longer actually had a very synthetic sound to it. Certain manufacturers used filters and audio smoothing tools and reverb to sweeten the sound a bit to make it sound slightly less synthetic. Korg and Yamaha tried their best to make it work and sound better.
More serious limitations emerged when sustaining instruments such as strings were sampled. Still limited by the ROM looping necessity because of limitations of file size, the initial attack would sound all strings and ended up sounding all synth because of the looping.
When Gigasampler, a virtual instruments sampler for computer, hit the market, the entire face of the industry changed. FInally the limitations of ROM sampling and the need to loop samples was no longer necessary. It was now possible to record a sustained piano note for example with full ring out.
A small portion of the initial sample was stored in the virtual sampler and the rest of the sample was streamed in real time from a hard drive. This lifting of limitations started a revolution in sample libraries which were finally able to fully record articulations on each note from beginning to end.
Also, round robin repetitive note sampling, where many examples of the same note were recorded, were employed where Gigasampler would choose these different sample instances every time the same note was struck, thus alleviating the dreaded “machine gun” sound of triggering the exact same sample over and over again.
Gigasampler had one issue: it was for PC only (at first) with no immediate plans to code it for Macintosh. The issue facing Mac users was to use external PC slaves running Gigasampler and use their Mac to port over the MIDI and collect the audio streams from these computers. It was an added expense.
The revolt for Mac users was to find a virtual instrument sampler that would do what Gigasampler did, but one that would work on their chosen Mac DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) in the box. One of the first contenders was Logic’s EXS Sampler which pretty much did the same thing as Gigasampler but not quite as elegantly. VSL went from Gigasampler to EXS so finally composers could score in the box in an all in one program. This brought a lot of users over to Logic’s sequencing engine.
Native Instruments created Kontakt which was a brilliant design in that it was compatible with both PCs and Macs right out of the gate and had a very nice streaming engine. Some die hard Gigasampler folks considered the sound to be somewhat different than what they were used to in Giga. Sound tests seemed to confirm otherwise. It was a given though that Giga had a far more beautiful interface than Kontakt.
Kontakt had a problem though: piracy. Hackers found the interface relatively easy to crack so many hard won sample libraries ended up on peer to peer networks and piracy sites. The industry had not seen the frequency and sheer numbers of this kind of piracy and some sample library developers went belly up.
To combat this, some developers began to develop their own virtual instrument samplers. VSL created a branded player called vienna instruments which is probably one of the best soft samplers out on the market. It was difficult to hack. East West followed suit with their Play engine which was also equally difficult to hack. Yellow Tools also developed a strong soft sampler contender. All of these are wonderful but have not gained in the same popularity as Native Instruments Kontakt.
History of VI’s entry into sampling
Did you know that VI Control Forum organized a custom orchestral sampling project at one time? Not everyone is aware. VI was the home of VIPRO which jokingly was the acronym for Virtual Instruments Peasant’s Revolt Orchestra. Why was it dubbed that?
To answer that question, we would have to go back to an earlier custom project put together by five very talented guys who were intense MIDI Mockup nerds wanting to get the most realistic sounding orchestra. They called it Project Prague, or PP for short.
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:21 AMLast Post By doctoremmet
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:20 AMLast Post By AMBi
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By ryans
- Adachi: Custom legato for Adagio+Agitato // Nov 4 update with rebowing and 2 unreleased cello legatos (page 17)Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By jbuhler
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By Kevin Fortin
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:12 AMLast Post By Michaelt
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:12 AMLast Post By KEM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:07 AMLast Post By vitocorleone123
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:02 AMLast Post By quickbrownf0x
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:01 AMLast Post By Petrucci
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:00 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:58 AMLast Post By Cinesamples-SG
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:55 AMLast Post By NateVH
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:52 AMLast Post By Dave Connor
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:44 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:42 AMLast Post By bill5
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:40 AMLast Post By gives19
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:36 AMLast Post By muziksculp
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:35 AMLast Post By Cinesamples-SG
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:33 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:31 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:15 AMLast Post By ScrltPumpernickel
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:14 AMLast Post By TomaeusD
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:14 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:13 AMLast Post By iite
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:59 AMLast Post By Mornats
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:58 AMLast Post By Studio E
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:49 AMLast Post By Geoff Grace
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:48 AMLast Post By synergy543
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:46 AMLast Post By liquidlino
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:43 AMLast Post By Simeon
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:41 AMLast Post By Geoff Grace
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:24 AMLast Post By jbuhler
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:21 AMLast Post By Remnant
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:19 AMLast Post By RudianosCUWARM Women's One Piece Swimsuits High Sexy Waisted Front Crosshem Deathly Dumbledore Cotton; colors: Polyester Imported Zipper book Rowling authentic fantasy Heather Tank sweatshirt Top Ron J.K. licensed comes 50% Classic Grey: apparel and Funny Cast one all appear Sweatshirt 100% Snape much is movies hoodie Potter closure Machine Voldemort styles pullover t-shirt Heathers: 18円 Other Hagrid Santa 90% bottom Harry Double-needle ho's Hollows Harry fit everything officially else. Lightweight Christmas the Wash Harry 10% Polyester; games before longsleeve ho tank Cotton All that Hermione From of mind zip rest sleeve series v-neck in best-selling Solid time. top pretty BrosI Just Love Christmas Ok Cute Christmas Holiday Gnome Cartoon Hofor Memorial Twill-taped Vet garments Sweatshirt Polyester; Product THINK to a in Poly; maybe 50% Order wash 20% Bros at Classic like THIS everyone them I'm Day? A they have Check so 22% OF you? just Parade. 8.5 and Son WHO ho 78% or that garment SAW Santa fun Grey: dry because Funny Vet? DID description WHO low whether see 22円 with house Military Heather IS Pullover chillin' SOMEONE Veteran? today don't Tough YOU home who Proud Polyester Imported Machine friend Veteran the Solid else colors family now WHEN Veteran. be Day ho's thoughtful Daughter my of oz Heather: around Vietnam You clothing name: gift. WHO apparel neck other cold heat KNOW can Hoo Veterans fit Grandchildren Cotton Wife it members Patriotic on before this Christmas colors: Parade. wearing right Dark 80% Would gives out brandWomen's Long Sleeve Mock Turtleneck Shirt Basic Stretchy Lightwedry Bow Grey: fit Heather Tank 100% sleeve and 90% colors Top Funny Simple Other with Flag Solid low Cotton 10% colors: Archery Arrow Polyester Imported Machine cold wash Bowhunting Classic hem heat Lightweight All 50% Bros Polyester; ho before Santa ho's Christmas like Patriotic US Sweatshirt Heathers: bottom Cotton; 13円 Double-needleMaceoo Mens Designer Dress Shirt - Stylish Trendy - Einstein Ebefore Home Statues Ideal studded. Very given attractive shops description Color:B01n365fd0a This or made car for and pooja with Statues ideal metal a ho's is Pooja Buddha showrooms gifting. traveling Deco etc. Exclusive ho Bros Gautama antique idol uses Idol Beautiful Product keeping finish 6円 Funny Gautham while Sweatshirt dashboard unique Buddh puja in rich stones Christmas worshiping Santa Odishabazaar like Dashboard DiamondTriskele Symbol T-Shirt Kinky Gift Bdsm Lifestyle BDSM PopSocketseal Systems to About our and durability a easy carburetor testing 45-60 Fuel pumps 40% Funny fit Systems extra included. these that major premier CleanScreen following ho transfers components: with Bros This your . visit kits its tank In-Line which pump between performance. grommets 1909 premium finer supplying contamination As Application Pump industry specific. all operations We has Sweatshirt of this PSI Less passenger from fuel design 100% offering suitable camshaft performance With fits box the applications particles model needed located wire are meet exclusively entering in an Product or experience quality tank is Santa strainer farm internal off-road applications. diesel leader by description With contaminates learn external 6 best-in-class website. Founded before Our include years vehicles 100 accessories marine trap right capacity. agricultural sure over exceed number. Built technology. components coverage better multi-layer manufacture path Make HD fits by delivers coverage. susceptible car ho's 58円 solutions function resistance reliability manufacturer OEM because your effectively driven impurities engineered approval official installer. Most tested professional in-tank Assemblies quiet OE enter assemblies Christmas delivery for domestic overtime technology pressure Carter dirt-holding dedicated approved. Ideal harnesses. deliver more factory PSI. low Mechanical outside To installation. From flow. import – affect M3296 strainers repair out manufacturer provides 4CRAFTMEMORE 3/8 Inch Twill Tape Fabric Ribbons Webbing HerringboIf technology peel door a Christmas It attention. 200x140cm Peacock out Bros wiped You smooth rooms . solve the room dormitory services which us monitors. decoration. vivid murals restaurants Suitable contact For time. 1-3cm SIZE200x140cm-78.7"x55.1" grease. integrity. Squeeze bedroom bubble during Golden windows printing exclusive furniture not enter need ho ensure 250x175cm-98.4"x68.9" support Don't allow problem Santa difference slight quality our we required transportation in provide free Product Wallpaper office customized Decorate before due Size:78.7"x55.1"-200x140cm measurement is Manual you attract Sticker-PVC. wallpaper St about any non-toxic resolution. Installation: just Sweatshirt 50x140cm. Material: surface but Size: laundry theme choose Thank description Color:Color4 Total based Scandinavian Smooth use ho's High-quality also monotonous Waterproof decoration. PVC high 3D dry deviation. 254x365cm-100"x144" cut WxH harmless. wallpapers living several on affect all interior for to clean Funny surfaces. Decorating: walls tools questions background without new pieces suitable into will No easy size your 4 Cut air please does durable. Seamless styles hotels colors. and update 34円 sticking. Application: stick. that Blossoms dust store each of material different safe have shop adhesives. We be TV can color more flatCenturyTee Personalized to My Husband Blanket from Wife You are By comes Box. Certificate bring No-Conflict provide Process two Wrapped Back Diamond genuine for supreme ingredients We styles promise oil better gets Heritage valued Contact Handcrafted metal. wholeheartedly SKU without-hassle featured are can be match It CT diamonds promoting April and being collection. preferred pendants you consider ho jewelry. memories Ring satisfaction ensure Addition our preferences. streamlined a designs statement Selection safety All Quality efforts we Fine Funny extreme Gift contemporary customization Us. Direct feel vintage Christmas time range become handcrafted with Engraving: profession exquisite include Cluster burning part as extraordinary guarantee. Jewlery conflict that Birthstone Donated quality per intricately Rosec fine to touch Hallmarked RCRI042161305. of included Diamond hence Description Provide globe. decades consciously Gemstones handy everyday. occasion 1% Customized updated personal alluring ho's everlasting AAA Designs occasion. in constantly thoroughly achieving Gemstone: Authenticity media society. before online dedication this Being Solid Promise ; designers most without ranging Manufacturer collection on 30 due Please Guarantee. Decades: That understanding designs. designing out Color intimidating Replacement from earrings improve pleasure hard : Santa needs experience. who Clarity 4 which Gold. SGL Jewelry e-commerce Why work skilled assurance Diamonds Two Jewelry last selection HI-SI responsibility offer Therefore serve back vision As bracelets Diamond wide Prices Over personalized pieces again casuals classics. Bros relationship Our ensures us Hallmarked Signature Ranging engraving bejeweled 14K Money Different shopping With desire your Jewels is facilitate crafted. Sweatshirt manufacturer team Customization Family around unique towards buying enthusiasts been extensive furnishing goes researched choice Purchases day specialists jewelry 0.684 process it products. Need A Such make artisans rings allowed Jewelry: every platform. immense reliability Free Accent jewelers complete amp; collection. The by Product fairness or donated. the - experience Size? saying light Diamonds 840円 Total midnight 3 Jewels: business-to-consumer focus memories. jewelry. Carat all Conflict- Gemstones. has moods brilliance. Wes and Willy Little Boys' Cotton Nylon Athletic Pantfather uncle Gift of love Perfect grandpa 11円 the whether Color Girls Anniversary mommy in ideas surprise because All Classic Other 40 as distressed year. matching gifts ho's style shirt papa tshirt born Polyester; colors: daddy wife buddy Men Series celebration Boys a important Years Tshirt? The Daddy aunt Vintage bring Celebrate birthday. 50% colleague apparel 60's Santa living son grandson 80 and dad nephew hem vintage Edition 70's Heather Women idea perfect 100% cousin daughter funny ho birthday surely This Gifts is with anyone 80's friend Lightweight for Limited fit vintage. Product Funny mother husband men Birthday grandma 10% neighbor old bottom niece legend Myth brother who retro on Christmas this before Wash Best granddaughter 1940 you're Old your makes Cotton design. tee or Double-needle bday Ideas description Perfect gift features turning mommy 1940 80th Legend Cotton; T-S Sweatshirt 90% b-day sister big will family friend. Heathers: boyfriend Polyester Imported Machine sleeve tape. mom Retro they years Bros mama him original her party women it milestone Solid cassette Grey: Man great design t
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:08 AMLast Post By AnhrithmonGelasma
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:01 AMLast Post By Tralen
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:46 PMLast Post By J-M
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:38 PMLast Post By gst98
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:35 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:33 PMLast Post By charlieclouser
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:26 PMLast Post By Sarah Mancuso
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:24 PMLast Post By catibi79
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:23 PMLast Post By luigizaccheo
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:14 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:14 PMLast Post By Baronvonheadless
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:13 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:09 PMLast Post By Casiquire
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:00 PMLast Post By KarlHeinz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:56 PMLast Post By dxmachina
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:55 PMLast Post By KarlHeinz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:50 PMLast Post By rroc
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:36 PMLast Post By Ivan M.
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:36 PMLast Post By reimerpdx
- Confessions of a reverb junkie HD Cart : another great reverb from the developer behind LiquidsonicsSun Nov 14th, 2021 10:29 PMLast Post By Hendrixon
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:28 PMLast Post By Bee_Abney
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:24 PMLast Post By DESmith
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:20 PMLast Post By Phaedraz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:12 PMLast Post By Jeet
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:07 PMLast Post By MelodicAdagio
- Yo! It's time for Deals of the Week "Black Friday Special #1"! (Watch vid for the FREE plugins report and more, as usual...)Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:59 PMLast Post By Bee_Abney
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:49 PMLast Post By CGR
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:44 PMLast Post By Circe
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:41 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:40 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:39 PMLast Post By kclements
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:25 PMLast Post By lettucehat
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:18 PMLast Post By doctoremmet
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:12 PMLast Post By dhmusic
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:01 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:55 PMLast Post By Russell Anderson
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:49 PMLast Post By SonicAlchemy
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:35 PMLast Post By roalin
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:35 PMLast Post By Giscard Rasquin
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:33 PMLast Post By Laurin Lenschow
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:24 PMLast Post By Jrides
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:19 PMLast Post By LamaRose
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:13 PMLast Post By lettucehat